Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A rundown of a coupon trip

I've gone over most of the basics with you on couponing. Here is a pretty good rundown of how to do your shopping trip. Tweek it as you want, but this is how I plan/exectute trips :)

First, grab a pen and paper. Then go to your place for matchups. I browse a few websites that do matchups, then  write down the things I want to look for, or I definitely want to get. I also read the comments from other people. Sometimes there are deals that aren't listed, and these comments can be golden! :) After, I kinda of flip through the physical ad and circle/jot down the price and what coupon I have for it. I bring this with me. A lot of times I forget what store I found that awesome deal at...if I have the ad with it circled, I know I wanted to get it from that store. So, after my list is done, it's time to pack up! I bring my entire bag with me. Some essentials...calculator, small scissors, pen, list, envelope for putting coupons in once I use them. If you go to Publix, swing by customer service first, and pick up some coupons. This is where scissors come in handy. You can clip them right there in the store and not tear up the entire page of coupons :) I shop from one side to the other. Each aisle. I may just pass quickly, but I do go down all aisles. I have a trained eye to find close out tags, clearance tags, etc. I can't tell you how many times I have gotten awesome deals NOT on my list because I found something in close out and I had a coupon on it. ALWAYS swing by the clearance areas of your store. You really never know what you can find. Most of the time it's because it's dented, discontinued, or old packaging the company is clearing out. Nothing major is usually wrong. I got a large container of Green Tea Pomegranate drink mix that makes 20Qts for $.82 the other day, just by passing through clearance at Publix the other day! This brings me to my next point...ALWAYS bring your coupons with you. ALWAYS. You never know what you will find. On that same trip, I found a money maker on Carefree Pantyliners. Not to mention the vitamin moneymaker. Always having my coupons with me, is what helps me get moneymakers a lot of the time. So, after you do your shopping, get all of your coupons in order, get ready for checkout. Try to search out someone who you will more likely mesh with their personality. This will make the transaction go much much smoother. Be friendly. You know that saying, you catch more flies with honey? Well, the same is true here. When you are nice, they are nice back. They are less likely to scrutinize every.single.coupon. you have. Even if every thing is exactly matched and just right, there are those people out there that despise couponers, and will look VERY VERY close at each and every coupon, which can make the check out process very long, and honestly, annoying. Keep a close eye on how things are ringing up, and give all coupons at the end. If you have any coupons that are for free product, put those items at the end of the belt, and the first coupons in your stack. This makes it tons easier for them to go back and find the price of something. If you have any $ off $$ coupons, use those first. Example, $5 off $25...if after coupons, your total is less than $25, you can't use that $5 off. But if before your total is $50, use the $5, THEN all the rest.

A bit of coupon etiquette....
     1. If at a drugstore, get all transactions and coupons in order BEFORE you get to the checkout. I usually make a list of exactly my transaction list before I go to make it easier. I have coupons in order, and ready to go when I get in line.

     2. When doing transactions, if someone comes behind you, let them go in front of you in between transactions. It's kind of rude to let someone with a pack of gum wait in line 10 mins while you do 5 transactions with coupons. Kinda doesn't give couponers a good name either.

     3. Don't clear shelves. Unless it's under 6 (that's a general rule, give or take), DO NOT CLEAR SHELVES. It's just plain rude. You don't need 50 of ANYTHING. If you do, and you know it's going to be on sale, call the store. They are more than happy to order extra for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment